- Get Subversion from http://subversion.tigris.org Get the binary packages for your OS for ease of installation. approx 3MB
- Get Mike Clark's book .
I'll just note down some of the things that I do when I set up a SVN box on my WinXP machine.
- Run the install or unzip the zip to the [SubversionFolder] e.g. d:/subversion
- Modify the PATH environment variable so that it includes [SubversionFolder]/bin. You can verify this via the command prompt
svn, version 1.4.5 (r25188)
compiled Aug 22 2007, 20:49:04
- Create the repository. To create a repository in D:\CoderZone\svn-repos - assuming that d:\CoderZone exists
- Now you can import a dump file e.g. if you are migrating between machines / subversion versions. e.g. if I had created a dump file from the source repository and load it into the new repository as shown below. (If you get an error like svnadmin: Expected format '3' of repository; found format '5' make sure that you dont have the old version of svnserve running. Close the process and create the repository again)
>svnadmin load D:\CoderZone\svn-repos < ReposDump.dmp
- You start the subversion daemon like this
- Next we import a folder like this. e.g. if we want to check in contents of c:\work
- That's it we can now checkout the contents of our project to a folder name Work2 like this
- I can add a new file to version control and check in modifications to already versioned files with
>svn commit -m "First Change!"